SQuirreL SQL Client Publisher's description
from Col Bell
SQuirreL SQL Client is a graphical Java program that will allow you to view the structure of a JDBC compliant database.
SQuirreL SQL Client is a graphical Java program that will allow you to view the structure of a JDBC compliant database, browse the data in tables, issue SQL commands etc. The minimum version of Java supported is 1.4.x. We recommend 1.5.x. See the Old Versions page for versions of SQuirreL that will work with older versions of Java.
SQuirreL's functionality can be extended through the use of plugins. A short introduction can be found here. To see the change history (including changes not yet released) click here.
Susan Cline graciously took the time to document the steps she followed to setup an Apache Derby database from scratch and use the SQuirreL SQL Client to explore it.
Quite some time ago Kulvir Singh Bhogal wrote a great tutorial on SQuirreL and published it at the IBM developerWorks site. He has kindly allowed us to mirror it locally. The tutorial is not really up to date but especially for doing the first steps it is still of help.
SQuirrel was originally released under the GNU General Public License. Since version 1.1beta2 it has been released under the GNU Lesser General Public License.
What's New in This Release:New plugins provide enhanced capabilities:
· Derby Plugin: Shows source SQL for views and triggers as well as further details about triggers
· Informix Plugin: Shows source SQL for Stored Procedures, Triggers and Views as well as details for Sequences and Indexes. (Special thanks to Doug Lawry for data dictionary queries)
· Refactoring Plugin: Allows you to view SQL alterations for several refactorings or apply them directly to existing tables. Refactorings supported are Add/Modify/Drop columns and Add/Drop Primary Key.
· MS Excel export of displayed tables - thanks to Andr� Schild for the patch
· Enhancements to the Graph Plugin
· Allows graphs to be saved as jpg images files instead of printing them
· New right mouse menu item for tables: "View table in Object tree"
· Made SQuirreL work with hxtt drivers. See www.hxtt.com. (Thanks to Yonghong Zhao for this patch)
· Added support for Informix and HADB. Special thanks goes to Lars Heill (Sun HADB) and Doug Lawry (IBM Informix) for help with installation/configuration and technical guidance regarding data types.
· Promoted dialect framework to core to allow other plugins to use (Refactoring) - this version of DBCopy plugin (1.1) is now no longer compatible or supported for previous versions of SQuirreL.
· Schema refresh on catalog combo box change: Schemas are refreshed automatically, when the user switches to another catalog. On systems that support Catalogs like Sybase or MSSQL, Schemas within a Catalog only become accessible when the catalog combo box is switched to the their Catalog. To make Schemas available in the Object Tree, Code completion etc. after a Catalog switch Schemas are now automatically refreshed.
System Requirements:· Java
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall