Immersive Explorer Publisher's description
from Julien MANICI
Immersive Explorer is designed to be an alternative to the default file explorer included in Windows (known as Windows Explorer).
It aims to provide an "immersive" experience to the user by focusing on the content rather than hiding it behind useless icons and large window chrome and borders. It will also avoid the user from having to open different applications and navigate between multiple windows when doing things as simple as viewing a picture.
For example, when the user want to see a photo, instead of opening Windows Photo Viewer in a new window, the photo will be displayed directly in the Immersive Explorer window.
Although it is not a Windows 8 "Metro application", it is designed around the "Metro" user interface guidelines. It will be optimised for touch-screens, but will offer a great experience for desktop users too (with features like scroll-to-zoom, keyboard navigation).
Immersive Explorer is based on Win32/.net/WPF (Windows Presentation Foundation). It uses graphical hardware acceleration to display fluid animations and transitions, making it look more modern than the default GDI-based Windows file explorer. Note that it is not a complete replacement for the Windows Shell (it's just an alternative to Windows Explorer) and it won't even need admin rights to be installed.
As it is not based on WinRT, unfortunately it means that it won't work on Windows RT devices (but it will work on Windows 8 tablets like Surface Pro). I expect Windows 8 (x86) tablets to be more popular than Windows RT tablets among power users, so lack of Windows RT support is not a huge problem.
Features supported in the current alpha version :
- local file system browsing (no network drive support yet, write operations are not supported in this version)
- picture viewing (scroll to zoom, tap to zoom, arrows up/down to zoom, but no touchscreen support yet)
- MD5/SHA1 hash calculation
Features that WILL BE supported in the near future:
- performance improvements (scrolling and folder load time)
- audio playlists
- touchscreen support
- picture manipulation (rotate, crop, and mass resize)
- file system operations: move, copy, delete, rename, copy/cut/paste
- advanced view filters and sorting
- local network browsing
- favorite folders
- customization (background pictures, colors, ...)
- setup program
- pinning folders in the taskbar.
What's New in This Release:- pushed the expiration date to 2014/01/10
- bug fixes and minor improvements
- prevents the user from starting several instances in setup mode
- the optimizer tool introduced in 0.6.0 runs automatically after 1st app exit if the .net native cache needs to be updated
System Requirements:.NET Framework 4 must be installed
Program Release Status: Beta
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall