Pale Moon Portable Publisher's description
The Pale Moon project is the work of a single individual, using contributed Open Source code to create a full-featured, speed optimized version of the popular Firefox browser.
The Pale Moon project is the work of a single individual, using contributed Open Source code to create a full-featured, speed optimized version of the popular Firefox browser. Having seen the advantages on other systems (e.g. Linux) with regards to programs being compiled specifically for the capabilities of the machine it is installed on, it became obviously clear that Windows users were at a disadvantage: Mozilla only releases windows executables with maximum compatibility in mind, meaning that Firefox is made to run on as many different systems as possible, sacrificing efficiency and speed in the process to be compatible with, by current standards, absolutely ancient hardware (backwards compatible to the first Pentium processors from 1993).
Pale Moon is a middle road, cutting away support for ancient systems to achieve a significant speed and efficiency increase, but not trying to squeeze the last few percent more out of it by limiting the range of systems it will run on even more. It aims to not waste computer resources and power on inefficient programs, while at the same time serving a wide range of systems that are currently in use around the world. As one person already remarked: optimizing for just the very latest systems and limiting to that would be rather pointless, as those systems have enough horse power to not make the few percent extra even noticed.
Pale Moon may run behind regular Firefox releases one or more versions, as this is still a project run in my free time, and I like to test the browser on at least a few systems before releasing it to the public. I also find that some Firefox updates don't warrant the time and effort to make a "point release" of Pale Moon to keep on the bleeding edge of Firefox development. Pale Moon will be updated only for select and relevant updates of the Firefox source code.
This also means that Pale Moon will not be built based on beta, release candidate, milestone, or other development releases of the firefox source code. Only relevant "Release" source code will be used to ensure stability.
* Highly optimized for current processors
* 100% Firefox sourced: As safe as the browser that has seen years of development.
* Uses slightly less memory because of disabled redundant and optional code
* Significant speed increases for page drawing and script processing
* Support for SVG and Canvas
* Support for Firefox extensions, themes and personas
* Able to use existing Firefox profiles with this migration tool
В· Compensated for a number of internal compiler errors causing build issues and potential browser stability problems on some systems.
System Requirements:* Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Seven, 32-bit or 64-bit (64-bit O.S.es are not natively supported, but the browser will run fine on them)
* A modern processor with SSE2 support like a Pentium IV or Athlon 64 or later (see list of supported processors) Standard Pale Moon will NOT run on Athlon XP processors! Please GO HERE if you are running on an Athlon XP or Athlon MP processor machine.
* 64 MB of RAM (128 MB or more recommended)
* At least 35 MB of free (uncompressed) disk space
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall