CurveExpert Professional for Windows Publisher's description
from Daniel G. Hyams
CurveExpert Professional is a cross-platform solution for curve fitting and data analysis.
CurveExpert Professional is a cross-platform solution for curve fitting and data analysis. Data can be modelled using a toolbox of linear regression models, nonlinear regression models, smoothing methods, or various kinds of splines.
Over 60 models are built-in, but custom regression models may also be defined by the user. Full-featured publication-quality graphing capability allows thorough examination of the curve fit. The process of finding the best fit can be automated by letting CurveExpert compare your data to each model to choose the best curve. The software is designed with the purpose of generating high quality results and output while saving your time in the process.
# Easy-to-use User Interface: most mathematically-intensive applications are very difficult to use. CurveExpert Professional has a very intuitive interface, which allows you to import your data, generate results, and create publication-quality plots with very minimal effort. In fact, to import a file takes only four clicks, and generating a battery of results with associated graphs takes two more.
# Robust file import: data files come in many shapes and sizes, and CurveExpert Professional makes importing your data files very easy. The smart file reader avoids non-data areas of your file dynamically, and attempts to find labels for each column of data in your file.
# Publication quality graphs: an arbitrary number of graphs can be created and saved. The rendering of the plots is of publication quality, with full antialiasing support and the ability to extensively customize each graph. Graphs can be saved to a variety of graphics file formats, and they may be directly copied and pasted into another application. For the purposes of 3D plotting, scatterplots, surfaces, and contour plots are supported. Graph themes allow you to customize a look that you prefer, and reuse it. Graphs are interactive, with zooming, panning, autoscaling, and view stack capability.
# Multivariate: linear and nonlinear regressions can be computed for datasets with multiple independent variables, without any limits.
# Multicore: put your extra CPU cores to work and compute results more quickly. A typical speedup is 3.5X on a 4 core system.
# Built-in models: over 60 built-in nonlinear models, with high-quality automatic initial guesses, are available for use. The provided models cover all of the major families.
# Detailed Result Query: parameter values and uncertainties, covariance matrix, parameter histories, residual plots. Forward and backward evaluation of the modelвЂ™s value, differentiation, integration, and table generation.
# Custom models: you can also define models yourself, using a very large library of built-in mathematical functions, and parameters in your models can take any name that you like. For more advanced users, a model can be as complex as necessary, as long as it can be expressed as a Python function. This allows the creation of extremely complicated models, instead of the normal one-line-equation models limitation in other software. Further, the number of parameters is unlimited.
# Functions: much like models, a suite of built-in functions (over 40) can be evaluated, and you can define your own custom functions as well.
# Ranking of results: results are automatically ranked by your choice of score, correlation coefficient, standard error, or coefficient of determination.
# Validated: validated against the Statistical Reference Datasets Project of the National Institute of Standards and Technology.
# Quality spreadsheet: the built-in spreadsheet allows you to manually enter data and/or modify it with a suite of data transformation tools. Data entry and cutting and pasting capabilities are as easy as Excel.
# Localization: Importing data or interoperating in European-style environments (which use a comma as a decimal) is extremely easy; regional settings are automatically obeyed, or can be selectively enabled in order to match your particular workflow.
# Logging: a log of actions is kept across sessions of the software, in case you need to recreate a particular result. A messages pane keeps you informed of the status of every computed result.
What's New in This Release:Plugins:
- An exciting new feature has been added to CurveExpert 2.0, called plugins. Plugins allow you to automate repetitive tasks as well as integrate CurveExpert 2.0 into your own workflows. Several examples of plugins are included with the software, and the API's are described in the documentation that ships with CurveExpert Pro. And we don't try to invent our own scripting language; plugins are written in standard Python. Built-in modules include numpy (numerical arrays), scipy (scientific computing), and wxPython (GUI toolkit). These built-ins give you flexibility and power to compute and automate practically anything. Plugins are really only limited by your imagination; any Python module can be imported into a plugin, even those that you have installed externally to CurveExpert Pro. As an example of using a plugin is to automate the reading of several different datasets, perform analysis on each one in turn (say, compute a few nonlinear regressions), and write the results out to a file. Two screenshots are shown below that demonstrate the writing of a plugin, and the manager that is used to install, uninstall, enable, and disable plugins.
- A new plot type has been added; it is now possible to plot anything on a polar axis. An example of this is shown below; all normal graph features are available also when working with a polar graph.
Hot links + direct import from Excel files:
- Instead of importing your data files into CurveExpert Pro, you can now create a hot-link to the underlying text or Excel file. When the data in the text file (or Excel file) is updated, the data within CurveExpert Pro is automatically updated. Further, all results based on that data are updated. This very important feature allows you to keep only one copy of your data, which eases the data management burden. The hot link can either refer to a text file where the data resides, or it can refer to an area with an Excel spreadsheet where the data resides. Both .xls and .xlsx files are supported.
3D/Contouring Graphing improvements:
- In previous versions of CurveExpert Pro, one could contour only a continuous result. The contouring capability has now been extended to contouring discrete data (your dataset) as well, regardless of its regularity or structure. In addition to this, you can also now plot triangulated wireframes, solid triangulated surfaces, rectangular wireframes, and rectangular surfaces (carpets) of your data. In addition to this, it is now possible to draw a scatterplot of a 3D dataset with color shading of points that correspond to the selected colormap (which maps z values to a particular color). An example of six new plot types is shown below (click to see a larger version).
Other Graphing Improvements:
The graphing component in CurveExpert Pro has been improved significantly for a better user experience and more flexibility in your plot creation. A list of new graph features is below:
- support for drawing arrows, lines, and shapes (rectangles, squares, ellipses, etc.) on a graph. Text inside the shapes is optional.
- undo capability, which is a huge timesaver, and allows you to experiment with the appearance of a graph without fear of overwriting previous work.
- ability to set the aspect ratio of a graph canvas.
- ability to copy the underlying data from any curve; right click any curve and pick "Copy Numbers".
- autoscale lock. This allows you to force the current graph extents to stay fixed, regardless of whether the data or results on the plot change.
- ability to specify axis spacing by either amount or number of divisions, for both minor and majors.
- a right click pan will now only pan the axis that the mouse is moving in.
- ability to cut and paste a theme from on graph to another.
- 10^x tick mark format; particularly useful on log plots.
- "Clear all Series" added to graph right-click menu
- A new application preference sets the maximum number of points to place on graph; this is very important for extremently large datasets. If a dataset exceeds the number of points allowed, the plotted points are intelligently "thinned" such that the character of the entire dataset is still displayed, but just with fewer visible points.
- right click menu choices to move tabs in the "Data and Graphs" notebook tabs left and right
- ability to lock marker color to the line color for a series
Other changed behaviors and minor additions:
- Tooltips tell the reason for the colors in the results list, and give the stats for each curve fit.
- Annotations no longer have the "Draw arrow only" option. Arrows should be drawn with the new arrow functionality.
- annotation demo sample .cxp file
- notebook selector now is not drawn every time the spreadsheet is revealed. The spreadsheet must have focus to be drawn.
- new plots created are now named Plot #1, Plot #2, etc.
- newly added annotations use the same properties as the last added annotation, for convenience.
- "scale markers" in the graph properties dialog can now be a floating point number for more control, and it cannot be zero.
- color cycles are now saved as a part of the graph themes. Old graph themes will still work, but will not modify the existing line colors or markers in the plot.
- "Line/Markers" page in the graph properties dialog changed to "Series".
- Themes in right click menu that are offered, are now sorted.
- autoscaling has been improved in intelligence and robustness.
- when zoom/pan buttons are depressed, other buttons on the graph toolbar now enable/disable appropriately. It is now no longer allowed to pull up property dialogs via the keyboard mouse when a zoom/pan is active.
- double clicking a series in a plot now only raises the properties for that series; not the ones for the rest of the graph too.
- many tooltips added in the axis panel in the graph properties dialog.
- Font on the notes page is nicer and larger, especially on OSX.
- performance enhancements in the graph drawing
- in the graph properties dialog, the OK and Apply buttons do not enable until some property is actually changed. This saves needless graph redraws if the user does not change anything.
- the drawing order of series is now determined by their ordering in the legend.
- the ESC key now releases the selected object in the graph.
- disabled distance alpha shading on 3D scatter plots.
- items in the Window menu are now alphabetized.
- the plot is now drawn larger on a printout than it was previously
- the entire CurveExpert Pro window is now a drop target for files.
- in the result details dialog, the surface was always drawn with a red solid linestyle, which was unattractive. The line has been changed to thin/black.
- could not right click on initial guess plot in order to change graph properties. Fixed.
- small gap between the annotation arrow and the shape that it is coming from. Fixed.
- File import dialog resized in a very odd way. Fixed
- odd text appearing in initial guess dialog parameter list. Fixed
- decreased overall memory usage of graphs
- using the keyboard to change notebook pages in the Graphs and Data pane could lead to some very ill effects
- since the alpha control has no effect on a data 3D scatterplot, is it now disabled.
- a dataset with standard deviation stems did not obey visibility flags properly. Fixed
- incorrect autoscale if only bars on a plot
- if there is a syntax error in the graph properties dialog, the error information bar causes a little bit of an ugly sizing problem. Fixed.
- colorbar is invisible on a 3D plot until the graph properties are invoked once. Fixed.
- Under OSX, double clicking a cxp document would load CurveExpert Pro, but not load the document. Fixed.
- When a pan was over, the continuous results were not updated. Fixed.
- A few dialogs did not have correct tab traversal order. Fixed.
- Documents opened via a double click didn't get saved in the most-recently-used list. Fixed.
- better reporting for a failed file read, if there are wrong number of items in a row.
System Requirements:No special requirements.
Program Release Status: New Release
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall