Light Detecting Enzyme in the Eye Discovered
The main enzyme responsible for converting light to flows of energy for the brain has been detected for the first time, using high-resolution X-ray crystallography and nuclear magnetic resonance imaging. UW biochemist Clemens Heikaus, and Rutgers research associate Sergio E. Martinez are responsible for this discovery, which can lead to a better understanding of the way light stimulates cells inside the retina to produce electrical impulses which are then transformed into vision sensations inside the brain.
Human retina has two types of photo receptors, ones that look rod-like and other ones shaped like cones.
It seems that a portion of the complex PDE6 enzyme, dubbed GAF A Domain, binds to a specific tiny messenger molecule known as cGMP, which regulates the activity of the enzyme. According to researchers, the connection is super-sensitive, meaning that the GAF A Domain always binds with the same molecule very quickly. This allows for high-speed information captured by the enzyme to be transmitted to the brain almost instantaneously, giving humans the impression they can see everything that's happening around them in real time. In fact, all human receptors throughout the body need a very short amount of time to send all data to the brain.
Having discovered that the enzyme only activates when the domain binds with the messenger molecule, scientists now think they've precisely located the "on-off" switch for electrical impulses for the brain. They hope to someday use this discovery to treat severe retina diseases, such as night blindness and retinitis pigmentosa, which affect tens of thousands worldwide.
Average Rating: 100%
User Rating: 0 votes
Readers rating: 0 votes
Readed: 264 time(s)
Readers opinions: 0
User opinions about Light Detecting Enzyme in the Eye Discovered
Login to add your opinion.
If you dont have a account please create one!
Related to Light Detecting Enzyme in the Eye Discovered
- Work At Home Doing Medical Transcriptions!
- 4th May 2008, 11:57 EDT
The first thing to understand is what exactly is medical transcription? In the course of their work, doctors and other healthcare professionals dictate the recordings of various things including physical examination observations, the history of the patien
- What's Wrong With Classic? Acknowledging that New Isn't Always Better
- 22nd June 2008, 00:30 EDT
As business owners, it is easy to fall prey to a culture with a short attention span. But change, simply for the sake of change, is never a good idea.
- Vitamin D Is More Important than Previously Thought
- 30th September 2008, 12:49 EDT
Vitamin D Is More Important than Previously Thought
- Using Shredder Oil to Improve Performance and Prolong the Life of Your Shredder
- 8th May 2008, 22:35 EDT
This article emphasizes the necessity of consistently oiling your shredder, which can help the shredder cutting wheels and head work more efficiently.
- United Nations Scientists Predict Human Migration Dynamics
- 30th September 2008, 21:40 EDT
United Nations Scientists Predict Human Migration Dynamics
- UFO Presence Is Old News
- 9th October 2008, 23:20 EDT
UFO Presence Is Old News
- EMT Equipment : Range Of Equipments For Use Of EMTs
- 4th May 2008, 11:53 EDT
An EMT or emergency medical technician is competent to provide emergency medical services to those who are critically ill or injured. Various equipments come handy in emergency situations and are used by the EMTs. These are referred to as EMT equipment. T
- All You Need to Know About Medical C Arms
- 19th June 2008, 12:46 EDT
The medical C Arm (also commonly referred to as an x-ray image intensifier or Fluoroscope) is a piece of equipment that uses x-rays to produce a
- China's Space Mission Has Been Accomplished
- 1st October 2008, 00:24 EDT
China's Space Mission Has Been Accomplished
- Tetrapod Burrow Dated to 245 Million Years Ago
- 9th June 2008, 07:03 EDT
Tetrapod Burrow Dated to 245 Million Years Ago
- How to Protect Your Infant from SIDS
- 7th October 2008, 13:14 EDT
How to Protect Your Infant from SIDS
- Gas & Oil - A Review
- 28th April 2008, 11:57 EDT
Oil and natural gas are the flagship of the American economy. Together, they make up more than 60% of the total energy consumed in America alone.
- Hubble Mystery Object Still Not Explained
- 13th January 2009, 10:09 EST
The large flash of light that left astronomers puzzled more than three years ago has yet to be explained
- Egypt Pushes for Less Dependency on Oil
- 2nd December 2008, 10:35 EST
Natural gas and nuclear power are the most feasible options
- Electricity Could Be Used to Grow Coral Reefs
- 10th October 2008, 13:04 EDT
Electricity Could Be Used to Grow Coral Reefs
- Bacteria Use Toxins to Switch Host Species
- 10th October 2008, 06:55 EDT
Bacteria Use Toxins to Switch Host Species
- GeoEye-1, Google's Satellite Sends First Image
- 10th October 2008, 01:00 EDT
GeoEye-1, Google's Satellite Sends First Image
- High-Speed Galactic Collisions Explain Star Formation Difficulty
- 10th October 2008, 00:55 EDT
High-Speed Galactic Collisions Explain Star Formation Difficulty