GridHIKER for Windows Mobile Publisher's description
from Grzegorz Grzelak
Story: My wife bought Pocket PC for car navigation.
Story: My wife bought Pocket PC for car navigation. But she decided that driving with navigator is more difficult than without navigator. To me it is interesting tool and make some help when driving. However I am pedestrian walker turist and wanted to use Pocket PC for field navigation. Car navigation software is also quite suitable for walking but usualy inaccurate. I have checked some freeware software for topographic maps and decided that usually I don't need map picture. To tell the true map is suitable off course but it is time consuming to prepare map for such usage, or money consuming to buy a map. I always have good paper map with me when I am walking, anyway. So only thing I need is to have coordinates of my position. Even car navigation map has functionality for giving coordinates, but in my case only geographical lattitude and longitude. What if I have map with UTM coordinates? Well I can find another free software to achive UTM coordinates. But I wanted to go step ahead. Collecting electronic maps or creating them is to complicated for me. So I realized that all I need just visualisation of my position on grid corresponding to grid on paper map. I didn't found a software drawing on handheld screen the grid compatible with grid on a paper map.
Thats why I decided to create this software. I have choosen only two the most popular kind of map grid. Using the word "most" I mean all over the world. Now I (and you) can see a position not only by numbers but also graphically on grid. It is easier to locate your position point on map when you can see your position as a point in a rectangle (or quadrupol) which corresponds with rectangles on paper map.
Definitely it is more comfortable to see map on screen but not always it is possible, and usualy you have the paper map with you anyway at least for planning the route. On Pocket PC you can see wide area nor details. Never both of them. I cannot imagine route planning without unfolding paper map on a table.
So if you think similar way (greetings for mountain hikers, kayak travellers, bikers, and special greetings for BIRDWATCHERS) the GridHIKER is for you.
- Displaying Geographical grid for position between Lattitude -80S and 84N.
- Displaying UTM grid for position between -80S and 84N with small exceptions at irregular zone joining arround Norway and Svalbard Island.
- Displaying current position on grid.
- Can very easy set and store 6 Place Points - Home, Car, Target and 3 Way Points.
- Can draw and store your way for last 600 points. Each point is set when you change direction.
- Manual entering of position (and converting between Geo and UTM).
- One click changing of grid labels (top, bottom, left, right).
- Zoom In and Zoom Out of grid (smallest rectangle 10 pixels, biggest according to screen size).
- Grid is based on 1'x1' rectangles for Geo and 1km x 1km quadrupols for UTM. Which should be suitable for most of maps.
- Easy graphical user interface (only buttons, no menus).
- Draw UTM grid even on zone joinings (see screenshot).
Not implemented (yet, not disadvantages!):
- Map displaying.
- Different scale grid (other than 1' for Geo and 1km for UTM).
System Requirements:Any Windows Mobile system supporting .NET Compact Framework 2.0. GPS unit providing NMEA 183 text sentences to any serial port. (v1.01Free is adjusted for Smartphones)
Program Release Status: Major Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall