MSDict Oxford Dictionary of Idioms for Palm Os Publisher's description
from Mobile Systems, Inc.
Containing more than 5,000 entries, this dictionary covers metaphorical phrases, similes, familiar sayings
Containing more than 5,000 entries, this dictionary covers metaphorical phrases, similes, familiar sayings, and proverbs, providing illustrative quotations from sources as varied as the Bible, the Spectator, and Agatha Christie. It explains meanings and provides historical information for well-known idioms such as cost an arm and a leg, knocks spots off, once in a blue moon, the tip of the iceberg, and many more. Full of fascinating facts, this dictionary is ideal for anyone with interest in the origins of the colloquial, quirky byways of the English language.
Idioms are arranged alphabetically by key word for easy reference. Sayings in British English are supplemented by American English and other expressions.
Word Definition Structure
The invariable components of the entry structure are the idiom itself with capitalized keyword and any common variants given in brackets, followed by the definition. In addition there may be a label or labels indicating register and/or geographical area, a sentence or short paragraph covering etymological, historical and usage points of interest, and an illustrative quotation. The marking of a quotation with an asterisk indicates it is the earliest example of the use of this idiom yet traced.
The MSDict Dictionary Format
The Oxford Dictionary of Idioms is here presented in MSDict electronic format. MSDict offers best experience in mobile reference and is available for any handheld platform.
* Quick dynamic search of words while you type
* Transcriptions facilitating pronunciation
* Stylish user interface with several split screen modes
* Hyperlinks between different related words
* Dynamic changing of font sizes
* Opportunity to add custom notes to any article in the dictionary so you can save your ideas and examples of usage
* Learning features
* Wildcard filtration feature (the use of "?" replaces a letter and "*" replaces a group of letters within words)
* Button allowing quick erase of the query field
* Support of multiple dictionaries installed at a time
* Specially enhanced for hi-resolution and hi-resolution landscape view modes
* Support for MMC, memory stick, and SD memory cards
System Requirements:No special requirements.
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall