Socks For mac Publisher's description
from Morgan Davis
Socks is a utility for troubleshooting, maintaining, optimizing, and customizing Mac OS X
Socks is a powerful troubleshooting, maintenance, optimization, and customization utility for Mac OS X. Many utility apps are packed to the gills with trivial or useless features, but not Socks. Socks gives you the features you want and need without the feature bloat you donвЂ™t. Not only is Socks just the right mix for modern Mac maintenance, itвЂ™s also wonderfully designed inside and out and has several practical and unique pleasantries to make your maintenance experience as smooth as possible. Socks allows you to:
* Troubleshoot odd behavior, crashes, and the "spinning beach ball."
* Maintain data structures relied on by the system/applications to keep them running safely and smoothly.
* Optimize system settings to improve performance, save hard drive space, and conserve RAM.
* Customize your system to better fit your needs.
Program Customization and Automation
Socks provides a rich set of features, elegantly implemented with the ability to fully tailor and automate your maintenance routines:
. Configurations: Individual "Tasks" use "Configurations" to define exactly how they do their jobs. Socks comes with a variety of convenient built-in configurations, and allows you to easily modify existing configurations and create new configurations for your specific needs and desires.
. Queues: Socks allows you to create lists of tasks, or "Queues," that run tasks in succession, allowing you to leave your computer while it performs any number of tasks on its own. Socks includes several built-in queues, and the ability to modify existing queues and create new queues in a similar fashion as task configurations.
. Schedules: Queues can be scheduled to run at specific times of the day and repeat at regular intervals. This allows your computer to execute tasks automatically. Socks can even run queues automatically in the event your system crashes.
Design and Security
Socks provides powerful features with a uniquely elegant and meticulously designed interface, and this design philosophy is equally reflected in Socks's internals. Socks is scrupulously designed to provide the best reliability and expandability. Unrivaled by other methods, Socks executes tasks that require system authorization through a secondary background process known as a "setuid tool," providing fast, fluid, and secure execution of the low-level tasks that lie at its core. This method is highly recommended by Apple and designated the "best [most secure] way" to perform privileged operations.
New Features Since System Optimizer X
* Complete re-design and re-write in Cocoa
* Highly secure execution using a setuid tool
* New highly dynamic configurations system
* New highly dynamic "Queue" feature
* New highly dynamic , multi-entity "Schedule" feature
* Automatic hard restart maintenance
* Live progress updates for most tasks
* New "Volumes" feature with fsckhfs volume structure verifying and repairing + more
* New "Spotlight" feature for optimizing and customizing volume settings
* More thorough and highly customizable cache cleaning feature
* New "Preferences" feature checks for, reports, and can remove corrupt preference files
* More thorough and customizable internet optimization feature
* New "Privacy" feature allows for cleaning of many activity records
* New "Interface" feature allows for customization of many hidden Mac OS interface options
* New "Force empty Trash" feature
* Many, many other new features
* A universal and more verbose Log for low-level and task output
What's New in This Release:В· Mac OS 10.7 Lion compatibility
В· 64-bit support
В· Revamped interface
В· Log file cleaning
В· Binary file cleaning
В· Localizations cleaning
В· More cache cleaning options
В· Locate database rebuilding
В· Whatis database rebuilding
В· Memory optimization via swap relocation
В· Power management configuration
В· More interface configuration options
В· Secure emptying The Trash
В· Fast file find
В· Showing/hiding files
В· Relaunching processes
В· System info reports
В· Active process info
System Requirements:* Intel or PPC
* Mac OS 10.3.9 or later
Program Release Status: New Release
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall