avast! Antivirus For Mac Publisher's description
from ALWIL Software
avast! Mac Edition is an antivirus solution for Apple Macintosh machines running Mac OS X.
avast! Mac Edition is an antivirus solution for Apple Macintosh machines running Mac OS X. It is based on a central virus-scanning daemon and includes a mail scanner, an on-demand scanner and an on-access scanner all controlled through a simple user interface. Although designed as a solution for individual desktops, and priced accordingly, the level of performance is closer to that normally delivered by server antivirus software.
avast! antivirus Mac Edition and avast! antivirus Mac+PC Edition contain the same ICSA Certified scan engine as all avast! antivirus products, offering best-in-class protection against viruses, trojan horses, spyware and other malware threats.
The Mac+PC Edition product license is for Mac users ONLY with BOTH the Mac operating system and MS Windows installed on the same machine. It comprises both the Mac Edition and Professional Edition and will enable you to SAVE 37% compared to purchasing both products individually.
Some key features of avast! antivirus Mac and Mac+PC Edition
* Full on-access scanning - scans files for any infection at the time they are accessed
* On-demand scanning - scheduled or ad-hoc scans of your system
* Integrated mail protection - stops infections at one of the main access points
* Virus Chest - a place for safe storage of infected or suspicious files, to prevent further virus spreading
* Full automatic updates - of both the program and the virus definitions
* Full control of the scanning options - set avast! to work in the way you want
What's New in This Release:Features:
* On-demand scanning: It's possible to scan the whole file system, network volumes or a mounted removable volume. You can also run a custom scan. Scan reports are automatically archived and are accessible from the GUI at anytime.
* On-screen alerts: Alert messages are displayed on-screen whenever a threat is detected.
* File Shield: The File Shield scans the binaries of started applications and all files at the time they are modified.
* Web Shield: The Web Shield monitors and filters all HTTP traffic coming from web sites on the Internet. Connections from your web browser are redirected to the Web Shield module. The Web Shield in turn connects to the requested web server and while downloading the content, it simultaneously scans it for viruses and Trojans. Only clean data is delivered to the browser, all malware is stopped before it gets saved on your Mac.
* Mail Shield: The Mail Shield monitors and filters all POP3 and IMAP traffic coming from mail servers on the internet. It does not prevent saving of infected files (doing so could lead to irreversible data loss), it just detects them. The File Shield prevents any infected attachments from causing harm to your system.
* Automatic updates: The scanning engine is automatically updated with our regular VPS database updates.
* Drag and drop functionality on the Dock icon is not available when the GUI is not running.
* Some of the avast! windows aren't automatically activated during application start-up and may be hidden behind other application windows.
* Sometimes Apple's default icon is shown in the Dock and Finder instead of the avast! icon.
* The Growl framework (http://growl.info) is necessary for the pop-up alert functionality. We recommend installing Growl before installing avast!
* Some items in the menus and some buttons in the GUI are greyed out / disabled as their functionality is not yet fully implemented.
Installation & Uninstallation:
* To use the Mail Shield, you need to disable encrypted POP3/IMAP connections in your email client's settings so the traffic can be scanned. By default, the Mail Shield encrypts all outgoing traffic itself if the mail server supports it (encrypted connections can be forced for selected mail accounts in the Mail Shield settings).
* Uninstallation must be carried out from the application's menu bar - item "Uninstall avast!"
System Requirements:No special requirements.
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall