Scid vs. PC For Mac Publisher's description
from Steven Aaus
Scid vs PC is a usability and bug-fix fork of Scid...
Scid vs PC is a usability and bug-fix fork of Scid (written by Shane Hudson and Pascal Georges). With it you can play chess online or against the computer, browse tournaments downloaded in pgn format, and create huge chess databases.
It now includes support for the latest Scid database format (si4).
Chess is a very technical thing. A single game can be analysed through and through, openings can fill volumes, and tournaments are full of statistics about winners, losers and openings played. Scid is a program whose original purpose was to combine all this information into databases of various sorts; hence it's name "Shane's Chess Information Database".
Improvements over Scid
* A powerful Computer Tournament feature.
* A rewritten Gamelist widget. Deleted items are greyed-out and there's a Compact button, amongst other things.
* Improved Tactical Game program.
* The separate widgets of the main board are hideable via the right-click menu.
* A redone Button Bar with a nicer look and feel.
* The Fics interface is fairly different, with a nice accept/decline widget for multiple offers.
* The Chessboard/Pieces config widget has been totally overhauled. There are some nice colour and tile theme, and great piece set available if the optional TkImg package is installed.
* The Setup Start Board has many fixes and improvements. Annoyingly, if Scid uses a tiled theme, it's setup board is displayed a different colour.
* The main board has a handy right-click menu, and the side-to-move indicator is now on the left.
* The Help index is now meaningful to new users, with links to the game's main features.
* The Comment editor has been overhauled, and is much more stream-lined.
* Restructured workings of the Analysis Engines widget. The F2 and F3 key bindings can now be set explicitly.
* The over-ambitious, adhoc Windowing System, and Theme features of Scid are not included.
What's New in This Release:PGN Window:
В· PGN chess font support (but font installation on Windows isn't great)
В· Per-game time control
В· Clock widgets for remaining time.
В· Manual adjudication buttons, and a Restart button.
В· Game List remembers it's view when switching between bases.
В· Game Browser has new buttons and functionality
В· Tournament Finder is more readable
В· Restore PGN scrollbar (pgn option)
В· Phalanx now reads enpassant and 50 move field from FEN (thanks Bernhard PrГјmmer)
В· FICs console fg and bg colours are now configurable
В· Name Editor tidy up and documentation review
В· Player Info: add a 'Refine Filter' result group
В· Typing 'OO' castles (previously only 'OK','OQ')
В· Mask Search widget fixes
В· Annotation: Dont add nags when annotating score. Don't repeat previous nag if annotating all moves.
В· Crosstable shows current game in green
В· Use translations for Game List column titles (if available).
В· Add a 'Game Delete' menu
В· Improve ./configure and Makefile, and CC FLAGS are propagated to all targets...
System Requirements:В· Tcl/Tk 8.5 or later
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall