X File Explorer for Linux Publisher's description
from Roland Baudin
X File Explorer (Xfe) is an MS-Explorer or Commander like file manager for X....
X File Explorer (Xfe) is an MS-Explorer or Commander like file manager for X. It is based on the popular, but discontinued, X Win Commander, originally developed by Maxim Baranov.
Xfe is developed since 2002 by Roland Baudin, a french Linux enthusiast.
The answer is quite simple: Although all these file managers are feature rich and cleverly designed, let's face it, they are huge! If you're a console addict, light desktop user or have an older system, resource hogging file managers just aren't the way to go. Especially since most file managers are Desktop dependent (KDE, Gnome, Xfce, etc.), requiring you to load all kinds of unwanted bloat onto your system.
* Very fast graphic user interface
* Small memory footprint
* UTF-8 support (through the FOX 1.6 library)
* Commander/Explorer interface with four file manager modes : a) one panel, b) directory tree and one panel, c) two panels, and d) directory tree and two panels
* Integrated text editor (X File Write, xfw)
* Integrated text viewer (X File View, xfv)
* Integrated image viewer (X File Image, xfi)
* Integrated RPM or DEB packages viewer / installer / uninstaller (X File Package, xfp)
* Copy/cut/paste files from and to your favorite desktop (GNOME/KDE/XFCE/ROX)
* Drag and Drop in Xfe and from and to your favorite desktop
* Root mode with authentication by su or sudo
* Status line
* File associations
* Optional trash can for file delete operations (compliant with Freedesktop standards)
* Auto save registry
* Double click or single click files and directories navigation
* Mouse right click pop-up menu in tree list and file lists
* Change file attributes
* Mount/Unmount devices (for Linux only)
* Back and forward history lists for directory navigation
* Path linker for directory navigation
* Color themes (GNOME, KDE, Windows, ...)
* Icon themes (Xfe, GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Tango, Windows...)
* Create / Extract archives (tar, compress, zip, gzip, bzip2, lzh, rar, ace, arj and 7zip formats are supported)
* Tooltips with file properties
* Progress bars or dialogs for lengthy file operations
* Thumbnails image previews
* Configurable key bindings
* Startup notification
* Ability to enqueue multimedia files (open command)
* Available in 19 languages
* and much more...
What's New in This Release:В· This version fixes a memory leak and updates Spanish, Argentinian Spanish, and Czech translations.
System Requirements:В· Xfe is written in C++ and built using the FOX graphical toolkit library.
В· For version of Xfe prior to 0.70, you need the FOX library 1.0.x.
В· From version 0.70, you need the FOX library 1.2.x.
В· Note that Xfe 0.70 and above don't compile with development versions of FOX (1.3.x series)!
В· Xfe is known to run on Linux systems but it should compile and run on any decent Unix system. However, it doesn't actually run on Windows.
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall