Metacity Publisher's description
from Metacity team
Metacity is a lightweight window manager written by Havoc Pennington from Red Hat.
Metacity is a lightweight window manager written by Havoc Pennington from Red Hat. The first version was 2.3, which was released in 2001. Metacity is implemented with the GTK 2.x toolkit, and so integrates well with the GNOME 2.x platform.
In fact the intention is to remove the traditional separation between window manager and desktop, and present to the user a single desktop interface.
This means that the limited configuration options available for Metacity are shown as desktop options, not as Metacity options (although there is an optional "Metacity-setup" panel which conflicts with this approach).
The simplest way to compile this package is:
1. `cd' to the directory containing the package's source code and type `./configure' to configure the package for your system. If you're using `csh' on an old version of System V, you might need to type `sh ./configure' instead to prevent `csh' from trying to execute `configure' itself.
Running `configure' takes awhile. While running, it prints some messages telling which features it is checking for.
2. Type `make' to compile the package.
3. Optionally, type `make check' to run any self-tests that come with the package.
4. Type `make install' to install the programs and any data files and documentation.
5. You can remove the program binaries and object files from the source code directory by typing `make clean'. To also remove the files that `configure' created (so you can compile the package for a different kind of computer), type `make distclean'. There is also a `make maintainer-clean' target, but that is intended mainly for the package's developers. If you use it, you may have to get all sorts of other programs in order to regenerate files that came with the distribution.
What's New in This Release:В· Port preferences to GSettings (Florian MГѓВјllner, Milan Bouchet-Valat, Jason Siefken)
В· Remove deprecated GTK+ symbols and use accessor functions (Florian MГѓВјllner)
В· Include the default window icon (Matthias Clasen)
В· Various small build system changes (Javier JardГѓВіn, Piotr DrГ„вЂ¦g, Florian MГѓВјllner, Rico Tzschichholz)
В· Abduxukur Abdurixit (ug)
В· Kjartan Maraas (nb)
В· Theppitak Karoonboonyanan (th)
В· Ihar Hrachyshka (be)
В· Aurimas Г„Е’ernius (lt)
В· Daniel Mustieles (es)
В· Jiro Matsuzawa (ja)
В· FabrГѓВcio Godoy (pt_BR)
В· krishnababu k (te)
В· OKANO Takayoshi (ja)
В· Mario BlГѓВ¤ttermann (de)
В· Bruce Cowan (en_GB)
В· Mattias PГѓВµldaru (et)
В· Fran DiГѓВ©guez (gl)
В· Marek Г„Е’ernockГѓВЅ (cs)
В· Gil Forcada (ca)
В· Piotr DrГ„вЂ¦g (pl)
В· Matej UrbanГ„ВЌiГ„ВЌ (sl)
В· Bruno Brouard (fr)
В· Daniel Nylander (sv)
В· Praveen Illa (te)
В· Wouter Bolsterlee (nl)
В· Antonio Fernandes C. Neto (pt_BR)
В· Yaron Shahrabani (he)
В· Xandru Armesto (ast)
В· Alexander Shopov (bg)
В· Chao-Hsiung Liao (zh_HK, zh_TW)
System Requirements:No special requirements.
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall