CKAN Publisher's description
from John Bywater
CKAN is a registry or catalogue system for datasets or other вЂњknowledgeвЂќ resources.
CKAN is a registry or catalogue system for datasets or other вЂњknowledgeвЂќ resources. CKAN aims to make it easy to find, share and reuse open content and data, especially in ways that are machine automatable.
Those familiar with software services like freshmeat, CPAN, or apt can think of CKAN as providing an analogous service for content and data.
CKAN is web-application written in python backed by relational DB. It utilizes components such as Pylons webapp framework, SQLAlchemy ORM, Postgresql database, Solr index, and Rabbitmq messaginging system.
* Free/Open-Source software, written in Python
* Domain Model: Data and content вЂњpackagesвЂќ with a standard set of core metadata and support for adding unlimited вЂќarbitraryвЂќ additional metadata
o All package data is automatically versioned in a wiki-like manner
o Tagging of packages
o Groups for controlled categorization of packages
o Unlimited associated package resources (вЂ?download urlsвЂ™) with additional metadata (format, description etc)
* Web user interface (WUI)
o Package adding, editing, listing etc
o Wiki features such as вЂњRecent ChangesвЂќ, edit histories, purging of changes etc
o User management and user home pages
* API: full JSON-based API (with python client) вЂ“ contributed clients in PHP and Perl
o RDF version also available
o CKAN is easy to use as your вЂњcatalogueвЂќ backend
* Search: Full searchability (including full-text support) via API and WUI
* Access control: fine-grained access control for packages and group
* Messaging: integrate asynchronous AMQP messaging and queuing
* Federated structure: easily set up new instances with common search etc
* Additional interfaces:
o Excel importer (upload dataset/package information direct from a spreadsheet)
o Fully featured command line client (datapkg)
System Requirements:No special requirements.
Program Release Status:
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall