VoiceChatter for Linux Publisher's description
from Chris Weiland
VoiceChatter is a free, cross-platform voice communication (chat) application......
VoiceChatter is a free, cross-platform voice communication (chat) application. It was designed with gaming in mind, but can be used for many other purposes.
Why write VoiceChatter? Because there is no voice communication application that I am aware of that has excellent voice quality, AND supports all major platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac). I am a Linux hobbiest, and I would like to play games on it. However, the the two most popular applications either do not support Linux or have inferior voice quality.
VoiceChatter is still under heavy development, but the feature set is large enough to be useful in the general case. So just because a feature isn't listed doesn't mean that it won't be integrated soon.
Currently, VoiceChatter implements the following features:
* Talk with friends, family, or teammates over a fast and clear connection
* Ability to use text chat for anyone without a microphone
* Native client and server support for all 3 major platforms (Windows, Mac, Unix/Linux)
* Automatic microphone volume normalization
* Admin features including kick/ban and move clients
* Ability to define users and groups for granting admin privileges
* Remote admin interface, allowing 3rd party applications to admin servers while they are running
* Recording voice conversations
* Saved server list for easily managing any servers that you use
* Password protected servers and channels
* Nested channels
* Codec quality/bandwidth usage control
* Support for ALSA, OSS, Windows MME, DirectSound, and CoreAudio
* Voice activated transmission
* User comments
* Text to speech and/or audio file event notifications
* Private (user to user) messaging
* Talk in more than one channel at the same time
There are plans to integrate the following in the near future:
* Logging of text conversations
* User to user file transfers
What's New in This Release:В· The biggest change is that the Windows client configuration settings will now save properly when not running as Administrator.
В· A rare server crash has been fixed, and the database configuration module will now tolerate brief disconnects.
System Requirements:No special requirements.
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall