Voice Chatter Publisher's description
from Chris Weiland
VoiceChatter is a free, cross-platform voice communication (chat) application.
VoiceChatter is a free, cross-platform voice communication (chat) application. It was designed with gaming in mind, but can be used for many other purposes.
Why write VoiceChatter? Because there is no voice communication application that I am aware of that has excellent voice quality, AND supports all major platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac). I am a Linux hobbiest, and I would like to play games on it. However, the the two most popular applications either do not support Linux or have inferior voice quality.
VoiceChatter is still under heavy development, but the feature set is large enough to be useful in the general case. So just because a feature isn't listed doesn't mean that it won't be integrated soon.
Currently, VoiceChatter implements the following features:
* Talk with friends, family, or teammates over a fast and clear connection
* Ability to use text chat for anyone without a microphone
* Native client and server support for all 3 major platforms (Windows, Mac, Unix/Linux)
* Automatic microphone volume normalization
* Admin features including kick/ban and move clients
* Ability to define users and groups for granting admin privileges
* Remote admin interface, allowing 3rd party applications to admin servers while they are running
* Recording voice conversations
* Saved server list for easily managing any servers that you use
* Password protected servers and channels
* Nested channels
* Codec quality/bandwidth usage control
* Support for ALSA, OSS, Windows MME, DirectSound, and CoreAudio
* Voice activated transmission
* User comments
* Text to speech and/or audio file event notifications
* Private (user to user) messaging
* Talk in more than one channel at the same time
There are plans to integrate the following in the near future:
* Logging of text conversations
* User to user file transfers
What's New in This Release:В· Enabled text to speech on mac
В· Improved voice quality when things get loud
В· Increased severity of inbound/outbound volume modifiers
В· Added server admin dialog (only contains server password for now)
В· Improved default audio device selection
В· Client will now switch to the channel that it was previous in when auto-reconnecting
В· Cleaned up error dialogs relating to bad audio devices
В· Added client error/debug log
В· Fixed a bug in sending chat messages that would prepend an extra character
В· Added ability to specify a specific network interface for the server to bind to (IPv4 only)
В· Added ability to specify where the server will write its log file
В· Added task bar icon functionality and the ability to minimize to the taskbar (windows/linux only)
В· Fixed a crash when disconnecting a remote admin connection soon after sending a command
В· Added a native input manager for mac, which should substantially improve input latency
В· Note: If you happen to experience a crash on startup with the mac port of this version, try opening ~/.voicechatter/vchat.conf and set "Use Native Input Manager" to "false". If you run into this issue, please post on the forums to let me know.
System Requirements:No special requirements.
Program Release Status: Minor Update
Program Install Support: Install and Uninstall