Compaq Armada 4100 Notebook PC series System ROMPaq 586J_99.09.23 A for Windows 2000 Publisher's description
Compaq Armada 4100 Notebook PC series System ROMPaq 586J_99.09.23 A for Windows 2000
Creates the ROMpaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette.
SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP11750
PART NUMBER: N/A
FILE NAME: N/A
Armada 4100 ROMPaq Upgrade Diskette (23 September 1999)
LANGUAGE: US English
PRODUCTS AFFECTED: Compaq Armada 4100 Series
Microsoft Windows 3.x and MS-DOS
Microsoft Windows 95
Microsoft Windows 98
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0
SYSTEM CONFIGURATION: N/A
EFFECTIVE DATE: September 27, 1999
ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTION ALLOWED: Yes
SOFTPAQ UTILITY VERSION: 4.0
SUPERSEDES: SP8939 (ROM dated 11/16/98)
Creates the ROMpaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for Armada 4100 Series notebooks, which allows a user to upgrade to
a 09/23/99 System ROM.
- NSTL YMark2000 is removed from 09/23/99 version to preserve NSTL Warranty assurances. Enhancements in this release include several changes that were also implemented in previous ROM versions dated 7/17/97, 08/01/97, 10/21/97,12/11/97, 01/14/98, 05/04/98 and 11/16/98:
- Resolves issues of registry corruption and blue screen errors.
- Provides support for the 4GB hard drive option to be used with the Armada 4100 family. Without this ROM, the drive is incompatible with Armada 4100 notebooks.
- Reduces delays in Post while an MCDU is attached.
- Enables the returning from hibernation with the power on password activated.
- Enables power down during Post. This function was previously unsupported.
- Provides support for bar code readers on all Armada 4100 products.
- NSTL Year 2000 Compliance The 01/14/98 ROM ensures that compliance will be maintained should NSTL (an independent testing organization that has developed a set of criteria
for Year 2000 compliance on PCs) release a new version of automated tests that checks for correct rollover from the year 1999 to 2000.
- Corrects Handling of 64-MB Memory Upgrade The optional 64-MB memory upgrade is not counted properly by the system
due to setup issues with the chipset. For example, when an optional 64-MB upgrade memory module is installed in the Armada 4100, the system only recognizes 64 MB instead of counting the base standard memory plus the additional memory installed. The 12/11/97 ROM adjusts the system setup, enabling the Armada 4100 to properly handle a 64-MB memory upgrade.
- Prevents 32-MB Memory Refresh Violations at Elevated Temperatures Some 32-MB memory upgrade kits utilize memory chips that can cause memory timing errors (which lock the system) at internal temperatures above 60 degrees Celsius. Installing the 12/11/97 ROM allows the system to refresh the memory at a faster rate, preventing this problem.
- Enhancements in the 10/21/97 System ROM are intended for use on the Armada 4150, 4150T, 4160T, and 4160T Streamline Notebooks. It resolves an issue where certain combinations of optional memory modules used in conjunction with placing the machine in a suspend mode may open the system board main fuse. These enhancements may be used with other models of the Armada 4100 Notebook family with no changes in functionality.
- Armada 4100 notebooks with Fujitsu 810-MB and 1.0-GB hard drives experienced errors when booting Microsoft Windows NT 3.51 if a Mobile CD (MCD) Expansion Unit was not attached. The 08/01/97 System ROM resolves these errors.
- Various failures, including error messages and software corruption, have been encountered on the Armada 4160T when using memory upgrade option kits. The 7/17/97 ROM automatically adjusts the system timing enabling the Armada 4160T to function properly with memory modules installed.
- Non-System Disk Error When transitioning from AC/DC power source during POST, the system no longer displays a non-system disk error. Previously, on AC/DC transition, the system displayed an intermittent, non-system disk error.
- Brazilian "." Key Fixed Allows for the proper function of the decimal point in the embedded numeric keypad. Previously, when the "." in the embedded numeric keypad was depressed, the "~" character was displayed. The 7/17/97
ROM allows for the proper function of this key.
- Improved Popup Positioning Allows for popup windows to be navigated across the entire surface of the LCD. Previously, the user was limited as to where the popup window could be navigated on the LCD.
- QuickLock Under F10 Setup, when the QuickLock feature is enabled and the system is put into Hibernation, the system did not remain in QuickLock mode after coming out of Hibernation. All Hotkey functions were also lost. The 07/17/97 ROM allows for the system to remain in QuickLock mode after resuming from Hibernation, and Hotkey functions are not lost.
- Suspend Mode When docked in a convenience base, the required time to resume from Suspend is now comparable to the time it takes when undocked.
- MIDI Audio While using Windows for Workgroups, units attached to the MCDU no longer disable MIDI audio when resuming from standby.
HOW TO USE:
1. Obtain a formatted 1.44-MB diskette.
2. Download the SoftPaq to a directory on your hard drive and change to that directory. The file that is downloaded is an executable with a filename based on the SoftPaq Number above.
3. From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded file and follow the on-screen instructions. You will be prompted to insert the formatted diskette in a drive to create the diskette.
4. After the diskette has been created, you may delete the
SoftPaq file downloaded in step 2.
5. Power down the computer.
6. Place the newly created Compaq Armada 4100 ROMpaq diskette in Drive A: and power up the computer. Follow the instructions on the screen to upgrade the System ROM.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER TO THE SYSTEM WHILE PERFORMING THIS PROCEDURE!
Copyright 1999, Compaq Computer Corporation. All rights reserved.
Product names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered trademarks of their respective companies.