Compaq Armada 1500 Notebook PC series System ROMPaq 586P_97.08.11 A for Windows 3.1 Publisher's description
Compaq Armada 1500 Notebook PC series System ROMPaq 586P_97.08.11 A for Windows 3.1
Creates the ROMpaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette.
SOFTPAQ NUMBER: SP4186
PART NUMBER: 255044-007
FILE NAME: N/A
TITLE: ROMPaq Upgrade for Armada 1500 (11 August 1997)
VERSION: 586P_081197 Rev A
PRODUCTS AFFECTED: Compaq Armada 1500 Series
OPERATING SYSTEM: N/A
SYSTEM CONFIGURATION: N/A
EFFECTIVE DATE: 19 August 1997
ELECTRONIC DISTRIBUTION ALLOWED: Yes
SOFTPAQ UTILITY VERSION: 2.x
DESCRIPTION: Creates the ROMpaq Firmware Upgrade Diskette for
the Compaq Armada 1500 Series, which allows a user to upgrade to an 08/11/97 System ROM.
Enhancements in this release:
- Potential lithium ion battery charging issues: On rare occasions, Armada 15xx units that shipped with LiIon batteries may experience battery failure. The battery abruptly stops taking a charge and is no longer functional. The 8-11-97 ROM corrects this problem by modifying the logic in the charging code.
- Armada 15xx may take a up to 15 minutes to reconfigure when the CMOS battery is replaced or when the system board is replaced for any reason. The 8-11-97 ROM corrects this issue.
- Standby would not always work under Win95 with APM 1.2 enabled.
- When hot docking, Windows 95 sometimes did not detect the Microsoft trackball device.
- If the internal fan was on when a suspend was initiated, the fan would remain on indefinitely.
- The internal TouchPad was not always working properly under
Windows NT 4.0.
Additionally, the 8/11/97 ROM update carries forward the fixes from the 05/17/97 BIOS update including:
- Hard Drive Spin Down Feature: Many portable hard drives, including the Armada 1500 hard drives do not include a 'idle patrol seek' feature. The 5/17/97 ROM offsets this by automatically spinning down the hard drive after 60 minutes of inactivity, even when power management has been turned off. This prevents the possibility of physical wear of the hard drive surface, which can lead to a shorter hard drive life.
- Alternate Supplier Support: With Compaq's continual effort to qualify alternate suppliers for Sales options and Service spares, it is necessary that consumers who purchase certain Armada 1500 hard drive options, or obtain replacement hard drives under warranty upgrade to this new ROM.
- System Hang when the CRT is unplugged: In certain unusual
circumstances, the unit may hang when a monitor is unplugged during operation and the video resolution is then changed.
- While charging a battery, system will shut down if AC is disconnected while the system is going into or coming out of hibernation.
- While charging a Li-Ion battery and placing the unit in standby, quickly removing AC power after depressing the standby button may prevent the user from resuming from standby. Re-inserting the battery or plugging in AC power will re-boot the system, but all suspend data will be lost.
- Allows formatting and using of 3.5 floppy diskettes in Japanese format.
HOW TO USE:
1. Obtain a formatted 1.44-MB diskette.
2. Download the SoftPaq to a directory on your hard drive and change to that directory. The file that is downloaded is an executable with a filename based on the SoftPaq Number above.
3. From that drive and directory, execute the downloaded file
and follow the on-screen instructions. You will be prompted to
insert the formatted diskette in a drive to create the diskette.
4. After the diskette has been created, you may delete the
SoftPaq file downloaded in step 2.
5. Power down the computer.
6. Place the newly created Compaq Armada 1500 ROMpaq diskette in
Drive A: and power up the computer. Follow the instructions on the screen to upgrade the System ROM.
IMPORTANT: DO NOT TURN OFF POWER TO THE SYSTEM WHILE PERFORMING
Copyright 1997, Compaq Computer Corporation. All rights reserved.
Product names mentioned herein may be trademarks and/or registered
trademarks of their respective companies.