Dell OptiPlex GX280 System BIOS A04 Publisher's description
Dell OptiPlex GX280 System BIOS A04
Level of Importance: Optional
Dell recommends the customer review specifics about the update to determine if it applies to your system. The update contains changes that impact only certain configurations, or provides new features that may/may not apply to your environment.
Fixes and Enhancements
The following changes have been made to BIOS rev A03 to create A04:
1. Increased SMBIOS Max CPU Speed to support new Pentium 4 processors.
2. Fixed issue where deleting the last boot device in the System Setup Boot Order screen did not work.
3. Fixed issue where some System Setup popup boxes did not work.
4. Fixed issue where some International keyboards and certain key combinations would not work with the system and setup password.
5. Modified DIMM strings in SMBIOS to match the DIMM labels on the system board.
6. Fixed issue where HOMER USB keyboards were not always detected.
7. Changed Diskette Drive error message from "Diskette drive X seek failure" to "Floppy diskette seek failure".
8. Fixed Dell Diagnostic fan failure issue.
9. Fixed issue where remote management applications such as OMCI, DCCU and Altiris were unable to set Wake on LAN remotely.
10. Fixed issue where systems that were woke from LAN did not boot to PXE if requested.
11. Added support for cardbus devices such as PCMCIA readers.
12. Added support for IDE drives smaller than 528MB.
13. Fixed issue where BIOS flash when used in windows with the -noreboot and -nopause command line parameters would still ask for user intervention.
14. Fixed issue where admin password could not be entered on the command line when executing a BIOS flash.
15. Added support for new Pentium 4 processors.
16. Fixed potential hard drive detection issues when mixing PATA and SATA hard drives.
Installation Instructions for the Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format
1. Download file to Desktop
2. Use one of the methods below to flash the Bios.
* Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
* Run the BIOS update utility from MS DOS environment (Non-Windows users)
Download file to Desktop
The file GX280A04.EXE is using the Universal (Windows/MS DOS) format and is designed to be directly executed from Windows environment.
1. Click Download now.
The Export Compliance Agreement appears.
2. Read the Export Compliance Agreement.
3. If you agree, click to select I agree..
The File Download window appears.
4. Click the Save button.
The Save As window appears.
5. Select Desktop using the drop-down menu to the right of Save in.
6. Click the Save button.
A progress meter moves as the download is completed.
7. If necessary, click X in the upper right-hand corner of the Download Progress Window to close it upon completion.
NOTE: Shut down all other applications prior to running the BIOS update utility. The update utility reboots your system in order to get the new BIOS loaded.
Run the BIOS update utility from Windows environment
1. Double click the Icon on your desktop labeled GX280A04.EXE.
The Dell BIOS Flash window appears
2. Click the Continue button.
The message Pressing OK will close all applications, shut down Windows, Flash the BIOS, then reboot. appears.
3. Click the OK button.
The system will restart and the BIOS Flash will be completed.
Run the BIOS update utility from MS DOS environment (Non-Windows users)
NOTE: You will need to provide a bootable DOS diskette. This executable file does not create the MS DOS system files.
1. Copy the file GX280A04.EXE to a bootable floppy.
2. Boot from the floppy to the MS DOS prompt.
3. Run the file by typing Y:GX280A04.EXE (where y is the drive letter where the executable is located).
It is highly recommended to always use the most recent driver version available.
Do not forget to check with our site as often as possible in order to stay updated on the latest drivers, software and games.
Try to set a system restore point before installing a device driver. This will help if you installed a wrong driver. Problems can arise when your hardware device is too old or not supported any longer.